This is my blog about the different types of books I read, mainly mystery, myths, and magic, and what I thought of them. I hope you like them, too.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Mystery,Myths, and Murder: Ripper


SPOILER
Dear Boss,
Aren't M words fun?? Endless possibilities!! So yes, I have found another book about one of the very first serial killers. Now, before I review the book RIPPER,  I HIGHLY suggest you read my review for The Name of the Star (<<<<<<link here), another book about Jack the Ripper including an amazing modern day paranormal twist. I will be comparing these two books but I'll get to that later. For now, Stephan Petrucha's book, Ripper
Okay, so right off the back of the book I new what the ending was. Now I won't say what I knew, but I think the front and back covers were poorly done. Don't get me wrong- I think the picture on the front is very cool- it's the words. Like how it says, "You thought you knew him, you were dead wrong." So, I don't want to sound stupid, but who is he talking about? My first guess was J.T.R, but isn't the whole point that no one really knows who Jack the Ripper is? The problem is it can't be about any other characters because they are all new to us,  ergo we can't "think we know them." Then I flipped over the book and knew the ending immediately. Then I read the inside cover and proved my theory. 

Also, he wrote very...funny. For one thing, he had very little description for characters, and almost too much description for certain places. He is mainly a writer for graphic novels so there is no description needed. I was just disappointed because I honestly don't know a ton about 1890's New York, like how they dress or the type of technology they had. I honestly loved the characters! You had the classic hero Carver, who wanted more than anything to become a detective, searching for his biological father. The strong willed intelligent junior reporter, Delia, who helps Carver in his search. And then you have   Mr. Hawking. He is kind of Sherlock Holmes, Edgar Allan Poe, and an entire mental institution all wrapped up into one interestingly odd detective. I will be honest; at first what was supposed to be this cool "Sherlock Holmes gone rogue" character just came off as...weird. Now as the book progressed, he sort of grew on me and added interesting twists to the story. What I loved about this book is that unlike most Saucy Jack  stories this one takes place in NEW YORK which is where they believe the Whitechapel Killer hopped over to after he was finished with Mary Jane Kelly

The book is about Carver Young, an orphan in search of his biological father, who is adopted by a famous retired detective named Albert Hawking. In his search he somehow gets mixed into an investigation of a train of murders in New York, and you won't believe who the man behind those killings is (did the title give it away?). My opinion of the book definately changed while reading. So while one chapter I was really enjoying it, the next I was hating it, and then the next I was rolling my eyes. The book did have a twist at the end but honestly it wasn't a very good one. I thought that was going to happen by the middle of the book, then discarded the theory because it didn't make sense. You know how in Scooby Doo they will pull off the monster mask to reveal the person, then pull off another mask to reveal another person. That's kinda how this ended. There were some other things that didn't make sense about his disguise but if I tell you you'll know who it is.


Okay so all that being said I did enjoy the story. It has a couple  of cool characters like Carver and Delia, and an exciting plot. The author has a unique view on Sherlock Holmes. I liked what he said "Doyle is the genius." Which I never really thought about but now that I do he is sooo right. Throughout the book Carver came across some incredible gadgets, and peculiar characters. What I didn't realize is that a lot of what was in the book was true!! Like the Midnight Band of Mercy,  who were a group of people in the late 1800's who would collect cats from the street and kill them. 



The Name of The Star v. Ripper
If' you are like me and love reading murder mysteries, then I highly suggest reading both of these! They are pretty much exact opposites. Both of these books were pretty creepy but what was cool is that they both focused on different aspects of the killings. Ripper's creepy-ness mainly came from the actual killer. Carver always felt like he was being followed so the book had a lot of suspense. J.T.R would leave the bodies in ironic or noticeable places, which showed how much of a game it was to him, making him not only creepy but also psychotic. On the other hand, The Name of the Star focused on the actual killings. The suspense came from wondering who would be the next victim of the new J.T.R. As you learn throughout the book (The Name of the Star) they aren't normal killings, which opens up a whole new possibility for the killer. Ripper took place in the 1890's in New York, and The Name of the Star takes place in England present day. Also The Name of the Star mainly talks about the "From Hell" letter and Ripper talks about the "Dear Boss Letters". Two completely different stories about the same event! I just find that really cool.  

Okay to sum up this very large post I did enjoy the book, I was just kinda disappointed by certain details.
I definately recommend reading this book! Probably middle school and up depending on the reader. It is fairly creepy but not  SUPER creepy or gruesome. If you read both books post in the comments and tell me what you think. Please Comment & Subscribe!

Yours Truly
-Candlewaster
P.s-Sorry I know I accidentally posted it before I was finished.

1 comment: