This is my blog about the different types of books I read, mainly mystery, myths, and magic, and what I thought of them. I hope you like them, too.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Tell-Tale Heart

Today I'm reviewing something a little different then I do most of the time. First, I did not read this story on my own, because we read it in class. Second, it is a short story; but not just any short story, this story was written by none other then the "Father of horror stories" himself Edgar Allan Poe. Normally I do not enjoy horror stories but The Tell-Tale Heart is the exception. Now although this story gave me chills...for the entire day, it was an interestingly thrilling story. Even though I wouldn't say that this was a happy story, it was oddly intriguing and has a curious way of  implying the theme of guilt. I also watched this video which was creepy and twisted but did give a good picture for the story. I also began to read another one of his writings called The Black Cat and found it interesting that he specifically discussed the same detail that the main character in each story was "Not insane." The characters in his stories are interesting, but the most interesting character would be himself. He had a tragic life which might have inspired his twisted stories. Although he had drinking/drug problems, the most interesting part of this twisted geniuses story is the mysterious visitor with a silver tipped cane he gets once a year to his grave. For "rapping" it all up it was a story that I surprisingly enjoyed but I would not suggest anyone under 8th grade to read this story (or watch the video above) because this story follows his famous 3 themes of (as answers.com said) "untimely death, insanity, and horrific gore."
For now...there's "nothing more." Please Comment!
EDGAR ALLAN POE

2 comments:

  1. This was always one of my favorite Poe stories. I remember reading it in school and thinking "Wait, did that really happen?" His other one that never leaves me is The Cask of Amontillado. Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading "The Black Cat" today. Super creepy :)

    ReplyDelete